The latest in an occasional series of reports on city-specific airports and deals.
In recent years, Seattle has become an increasingly competitive transportation hub, which means increasingly good flight deals for travel within the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii) as well as Asia and Europe. Seattle itself is a great destination — go island-hopping in the Puget Sound, hike the nearby Cascades, visit the iconic Space Needle and Pike Place Market.
• Airport: Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA). Often referred to as Sea-Tac, it’s located 12 miles south of downtown Seattle and 22 miles north of Tacoma.
• Wi-Fi: Free access throughout the airport, with 2,400+ outlets for charging.
• Restaurants: Dozens, from Alaska Lodge to Dungeness Bay Seafood House and Bigfoot Food & Spirits.
• Nice touch: Live music performances throughout the airport (between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.) plus several art exhibits, including one featuring posters of hometown musical heroes Pearl Jam. Try the half-mile Art Walk if you’re in the mood for a little exercise.
• Parking: From $4 per hour to $30 or $37 per day, depending on type of parking. Electric vehicles pay to park but the charging is free.
• Getting to/from the airport: Light rail service with trains running every 6-15 minutes; public buses and shuttles; taxis; limo service and Lyft, Uber and Wingz.
Sea-Tac is home to more than 20 airlines, including discounter Norwegian Air which begins Seattle-London flights in September. Other carriers include:
• U.S. airlines: Sea-Tac is a hub for both Alaska and Delta; it’s also served by American, United, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit and more.
• International airlines: Air Canada, Icelandair, British Airways, EVA and Virgin Atlantic as well as carriers representing Japan, Korea, China and other Asian nations.
Cheap flights to/from Seattle in August
The following round-trip fares for August were found late last week using a “find best fares by month/season” tool:
Flights from Seattle
• Las Vegas from $123
• Burbank, Calif., from $144
• Anchorage from $189
• Orlando from $244
• Maui, Hawaii, from $473
• Beijing from $491
• Puerto Vallarta from $312
• Paris from $640
These deals were found on a comparison shopping search site:
Flights to Seattle
• From Los Angeles, from $125
• From Denver, from $195
• From Tampa, from $258
• From Stockholm, from $530
• From London, from $990
Remember, no matter what city you’re thinking of visiting, always compare airfares on several sites. You can’t always predict which airline will have the best deal.
FareCompare CEO Rick Seaney is an airline industry insider and top media air travel resource. Follow Rick (@rickseaney) and never overpay for airfare again.
Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2uM0vT0